In my 29 years (gasp!) of practicing reflexology, I am regularly asked if there is a reflex point for weight loss. How I wish there was! If there was one spot on the feet or hands that could deliver a desired weight, I would be a very wealthy woman!
In lieu of that imaginary “point”, may I suggest one thing that costs less than Weight Watchers, gastric bypass surgery and a year’s membership at the gym?
That magical item is water. Pure alkaline water. Lots of it. If you want to lose weight, I’m talking 1 liter for every 40 lbs you currently weigh. Drinking that much water alone will do so much to help you reach your desired weight goal. Imagine the results if you combine that with conscious eating, regular movement, adequate sleep, encouraging self-talk and relaxation?
When it comes to balancing your weight, drinking plenty of alkaline water will:
• metabolize stored fat. Your body creates additional fat cells and mucous to protect itself from attack from excess acid in the body. Dehydration makes it impossible for the body to reduce the accumulation of acid that contributes to arteriosclerosis, bone density loss, muscle atrophy, inflammatory conditions and unwanted pounds.
• aid kidney function. Water is the best antidote to fluid retention; the more you drink, the more your body is flushed of excess fluid and acid.
• reduce hunger pangs. In many people, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger! Drink plenty of water throughout the day and watch your cravings disappear.
• improve digestion. Water is essential to your body’s ability to break down food into usable nutrients.
• relieve constipation. Never mind laxatives; adding more water to your day is the first thing you should do.
But back to reflexology… There are actually specific points to work that will assist someone in their concerted strategy to reach a healthy weight. I’ll write about those points in my next post.