The book is called Building a Powerful Practice and it’s written by celebrated reflexologist, Deborah H. Flanagan. Deborah has been a guest speaker on reflexology on the Dr. Oz Show and has been featured in O, the Oprah Magazine. She has built a successful business on her own terms, utilizing both the heart and brains of smart marketing. She shares generously and in simple terms how you too can build a successful practice.
Here’s what I like about this book (in no particular order):
1. It’s short. Only 130 pages. It won’t take you forever to read!
2. Written with candor, transparency and compassion. Deborah does not present herself or her strategy as the only path to success; she shares her experience – her successes and failures – and offers what she’s learned as a guide that you can tweak for your situation.
3. There are 22 chapters breaking down all the various components of creating a successful business. Short concise chapters with no-nonsense advice on such subjects as:
– finding clients in person and online
– defining and reaching your niche
– heart-centered marketing
– staying organized – the necessary administrative end of things
– avoiding burnout
– building confidence
– being true to yourself
4. Suggested action steps for each subject area.
The book includes the perspectives of a number of other wellness practitioners on each of the subjects addressed. I really thought this was a very valuable addition to the book; most business or marketing trainings present only the opinion of one person – the author.
As a bonus, Deborah gives you access to a Business Starter Kit, which includes templates for building an email list, keeping track of income and expenses (including taxes), sample intake forms and gift certificates.
Available on Amazon if you’re interested. (FYI, I received nothing for writing this review; in fact, it will come as a surprise to Deborah should she read it!)