Recent reports in an AARP bulletin stated that nearly half of older workers are in jobs they started since turning 50, and forty percent of people working at age 62 changed their careers after turning 55!
That’s affirming for all of us who are compelled to make a big change in our lives.
I can attest to the rewards of making such a leap from personal experience. I was 40 years old when I earned a license in the state of Florida that legally allowed me to forge a clinical practice and teaching career centered solely (pun intended) on reflexology. I’ll turn 69 this year and am still going strong, and loving what I do.
After years of working in the entertainment, arts and hospitality industries, starting over in a totally unrelated field did not mean starting from scratch. Far from it! I brought with me years of hard-earned assets that put me at a tremendous advantage over those with less life experience than I.
Here’s the truth: Most people who are drawn to study reflexology are 45 years of age and older. So, if switching gears and spending your days (or a few hours/week) helping others to feel better utilizing hand and/or foot reflexology protocols is something that interests you, take heed of some of the benefits you bring to the table just by having lived this long!
- You have a vast amount of experience that can be adapted to a career in healthcare. In some way or another, your life has included sales, marketing, compassionate listening, interpersonal skills, simple accounting practices, organization – all of that will contribute to your easy slide into success as a reflexologist.
- People tend to become more empathetic as the years pile up. I’m not sure why this is; maybe it’s because we’ve survived some hard knocks ourselves and can relate to others in their struggle. No matter what, our heightened compassion and kindness towards others are well-suited to a natural healthcare practice.
- You have an extensive network of people in your life – and I can guarantee you that many of these folks – especially the mature ones – will be very excited to know about the new gifts you have to offer. More and more people are looking for non-pharmaceutical ways to treat their imbalances. Reflexology can address not only musculoskeletal pain but digestive distress, respiratory issues, endocrine disorders and immune systems under attack.
- Resilience and patience are attributes that come with age. No doubt, you’ve been knocked down a time or two, whether from personal loss or your own health challenges. Your track record of having picked yourself up and put one foot in front of the other will serve you well in reinventing yourself now.
- Maybe the stars have finally lined up! Are you an empty nester? Newly single? Got the time to finally pursue what you’ve always wanted to do? Is it finally time for YOU?
- Careers started later in life are most often centered on a search for meaning, purpose or creative growth. We want to give back, to serve others in a way that we’ve never touched into before. Your faith in yourself and the purpose your life was given truly can be investigated now.
Contact me if you would like to explore the idea of a career in reflexology. I have helped countless people navigate the thoughts and questions that eventually led to the right decision for them; I’d be honored to do that for you too. No strings attached. 904.553.4067